We Are Sunnybrook Day 10
Scripture: Galatians 6:2 Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.
Devotional: Today’s passage is a great example of one way we are to function in the body of Christ as we connect with one another in authentic community. We are to carry one another’s burdens. When we do so, it says, we are fulfilling the law of Christ. What exactly is the law of Christ? Remember John 13:34, from earlier this week? “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.”
Up to that point, people were trying to follow the law that was established by God for His people centuries before. But Jesus comes on the scene and establishes a new law, a new command. Love one another.
So the law of Christ is love. When we bear one another’s burdens, we are fulfilling Christ’s law of love. Jesus is giving us a tangible way that we connect with and love one another: by bearing one another’s burdens.
So how do we do that? A few practical ways:
- We weep with those who weep; comfort those who are grieving
- We pray with and for those who are trying to break free from addiction or patterns of sin
- We come alongside those who are struggling to make ends meet
- We care for widows and orphans in our community
- We help our neighbor move, or fix up something around their home
Whatever burdens we see bearing down on the lives of others, we simply help them to carry the load. And that starts by being close enough to know someone’s story, to connect with them on a deeper level than just a “hi, how are ya” as you are passing them by. We actually see their burdens, and we help them bear the load.
That’s love in action.
- Who do you know right now who might need your help in bearing the heavy burden that is upon them? If you can’t think of anyone, ask God to reveal a way that you can love another by helping to bear their burden.
- What love in action can you take?