We Are Sunnybrook Day 39
Scripture: Galatians 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Devotional: We’ve been talking about being the church, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor. Today’s passage give us the specifics of what that means. We learned on day one that we are appointed to bear fruit. Today’s passage gives us insight into that fruit of which Jesus speaks, the fruit of God’s Spirit.
Bearing this fruit is the way we reflect the image of Christ. Perhaps because many of these don’t necessarily come naturally to us as humans, when we see them in abundance, it gives testimony of something different. Something beyond the ordinary. Something other worldly. It gives testimony to the work of God in our lives, and it’s what enables you and me to share the hope we have in Jesus Christ. When you are able to bear this fruit in abundance, you truly are being the church.
- Loving the unlovable
- Being joyful in the worst of circumstances
- Bringing peace into a chaotic situation
- Displaying extraordinary patience when provoked
- Showing kindness to someone who is hostile
Taking time daily to examine yourself and ask the question, “how evident was the fruit of God’s Spirit in my life today?” is a good practice to adopt. I always know that when I find myself more irritable, less loving and kind, and losing my joy, that I’m more than likely neglecting the spiritual practices that enable God to cultivate and produce His spiritual fruit in my life. More on that tomorrow…
- When you ponder upon the fruit of God’s Spirit listed in today’s passage, how fruitful do you think you are?
- How might you yield more fully to God’s work in your life that He might produce the fruit of His Spirit in you?